Monthly Archives: October 2013
While my daughter and husband were out racing sailboats all weekend, I had a grand time making mug rugs for the first time. I was inspired by Christa Rolf’s book Mug Rugs and a technique from Tara Rebman’s Craftsy Class, Quilt-As-You-Go Patchwork (the potholder class). Here are my first batch of mug rugs.
My friend brought over a quilt book (Sunday Morning Quilts) that showed this idea. The author had made their fabric knitting project into a little rug and it looked really cool. I added a flannel back to each and I use them as both covers for the back of chairs as well as a lap warmer. They are surprisingly heavy though! I like the amazing colors and textures. I added yarn into the mix as well; sometimes with the fabric strips and sometimes sewn on top afterwards.
The gigantic wedge circle was cool looking but I haven’t figured out what to do with it yet. I decided to try a smaller version instead. It was less intimidating and easier to work with.
Plus – I had this amazing little box of fabric that I was really excited to use!
Here is the new circle work-in-progress:
Then I had to decide how to attach the circle to a background piece of fabric and close up that donut hole in the middle. (Mmm…donuts)
Working on the next part now. Maybe a strata block?
This quilt was inspired by another design in a Kaffe Fassett book. I am really into the striped fabrics right now so that was my starting point. Then I had a lot of fun adding bits of color to jazz it up. In a bunch of the little bits, I tried to capture the image of what I liked most about that particular piece of fabric, like a cat’s face or a fighting knight, or even just a beautiful color.
As I was finishing up the final border, I ran out of fabric and had to insert a lighter shade from the same fabric collection. I added the red to help it stand out more and really liked it.
I found this amazing fabric (the solids with a dotted look and texture) and wanted to still play around with the idea of adding pieces of fabric to the squares and rectangles. I decided to make funky diamond shapes and use those all over the quilt.
So working with the wedge ruler is fun and now I have a cool looking circle with a hole in it. But now the question is – what do I do with it now? If it had a bigger opening, I could make it into a stylish poncho, (which is so very 70’s!). Or even better, it could be a cool skirt for my daughter – kind of modern poodle skirt. I really think she would wear it (tee-hee)!!
Here’s how it looked as I was working on it
This was a fun and pretty simple quilt to put together. The borders came from my stash and I like how the blue looks with the yellow and red diamonds. I had originally thought I would need to use a black and white inner border to help with all the yellow and red color saturation. But when I auditioned the blue for the part instead, I really liked how it looked.
I was also grateful that I made a lot of strata! Since reading directions isn’t my strong point, I just looked at the pictures and the measurements. I didn’t give the direction of the diagonal cuts too much thought. Once I did the cutting I realized that each color needed cuts on different angles for the pattern to work – oops! Almost had a moment where I would have had to have a little temper tantrum and mutter things aloud that should have been kept to myself. Fortunately because I had cut so many strata pieces there was no problem after all. Phew!
Here are the strata rectangles and then the both sets of diagonal cuts.
Sewing everything together didn’t take too long. The good part was that I read enough of the directions to know that it would be a good idea to starch the strata before making the first cut. That was very helpful because the fabric didn’t stretch too much.
Adding the inner and outer borders were easy – here’s the finished product 🙂
My current project is a strata type project that is inspired by a quilt in Kaffe Fassett’s book, Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts. I started with a 24 inch stack of reds and yellows. I just cut straight across – no measuring. Lots easier and quicker when you just sort of eyeball it. Then I sewed the strips together in groups of 16. I think I went thru 4-5 bobbins!